PO BOX 67
BOHEMIA, NEW YORK 11716
email address: email@example.com
When the Kratochvil's, Vavra's and Koula's settled in the area in 1855, it fell to Joseph Koula, a cabinet maker, to build homes.The house on the right was on Smithtown Avenue. The picture is undated. The building eventually became part of Frank Huml's cigar factory until the 1930s.
The small building in the center was the home built for Jan and Barbara Vavra. This picture, undated, still has the outside water pump and bucket. The house was also on Smithtown Avenue where it later belonged to Theodore Kruta, one of the town's butchers.
NEWSLETTER 2016 #1
10 PAGES OF NEWS AND HISTORY
* BOHEMIA'S ONLY CIVIL WAR VETERAN
* THE OTHER JAN HUS
* BOHEMIA'S STREET
* 1990S NEWS ITEMS
EMAIL OR WRITE FOR A COPY
MEMORIES OF BOHEMIA
57 RESIDENTS REMEMBER GROWING UP, SCHOOL, FOOD, PEOPLE THEY KNEW
$19.95 + $4.00 POSTAGE
200 PAGES OF CZECH AND
$15.00 + $4.00 POSTAGE
HISTORY WRITTEN FOR THE 1955 CENTENNIAL
DECEMBER 3, 2015
ANNUAL CHRISTMAS PARTY
Pictures: clockwise from above left
1. OFFICERS AND BOARD MEMBERS
2.CONNETQUOT HS BRASS ENSEMBLE
WITH MIKULAS (ST. NICHOLAS)
performed a concert of Christmas music for the ninth year
3.MEMBERS AND FRIENDS ENJOYING THE MUSIC AND REFRESHMENTS
Double click here to add text.
Founded in 1855, the population and number of children in Bohemia grew. In 1869, the first one-room school, built for $600, opened with 48 students. The one teacher's salary was $180 yearly
Further growth called for a larger facility. This four-room structure was built in 1903. By then, teachers' salaries had grown to $10 a week. This building burned in 1977.
St. John Nepomucene Catholic School opened in 1924. Staffed by the School Sisters of Notre Dame, it had two classrooms, with four grades in each room. The walls were collapsible so that it could be opened into an auditorium with a stage in front. It burned in 1957.